Friday, March 24, 2017

Day 24: Traveling Down Memory Lane

My baby, my Caleb, my youngest child turns 20 years old today.  He arrived quite by surprise: he was five weeks early.

Due to our time in the hospital after his early birth, I was concerned that we would not bond.  Garold was the first to hold him and feed him.  Both sets of grandparents had held him.  Most of our extended family and friends had held him.  He was four days old before I got to hold him.

We bonded just fine.  In fact, for the first five months of his life, Caleb would barely go to anyone else but me.  When he was five months old I had to go out of town for a conference for four days.  When I came back, he wouldn't come to me except for food for over a week.  He eventually forgave me for my abandonment, but it was a long time before we were close again.

Today we are close again.  I have been fortunate that Caleb and I travel well together.  Our trips together have ranged from a bike ride to the creek to build a dam, to the amusement park to ride roller coasters, and even to London for a week.

I can't wait to see what the next 20 years bring!


No comments:

Post a Comment