Monday, March 6, 2017

Day 6: The Coleman Pop-up Camper


When I was in grade school, my parents bought a Coleman Pop-up Camper.  It was in the mdi-1970's.  We pulled that puppy along behind a red Pontiac with these giant side-mirrors that stuck out like some metal parody of a wing. 

The first trip we took in  the camper was to the Campfire Girls Camp Waluhili Family Weekend on Fort Gibson Lake, near Waggoner, Oklahoma.  I was a Campfire girl, an organization similar to the Girl Scouts, in Oklahoma.  We pulled that camper to the top of the hill overlooking the lake and spent Memorial Day Weekend camping.

Our next grand adventure with the pop-up was to Colorado.  This was around 1975, so the highways you might be familiar with to zip you from one side of the Rocky Mountains to the other didn't exist back then.  Going up and down the two-lane switch-back roads was exciting!  I'm sure my parent got some premature gray hairs hauling that camper up and down the mountains with two energetic kiddos bouncing around the backseat.

Sometimes, when we had family visiting in the summer, my folks would open up that pop-up camper in the back yard and me, my brother, and all my cousins would pile in that camper for a sleepover.   The camper had two large beds on each end, and several seats that made for a descent night's sleep in a pinch.  We'd pile all the girls on one side, boys on the other, the  younger ones would just have to fight it out for those spots in the middle.

No matter where we traveled in the that old pop-up camper, we always had a great time!

2 comments:

  1. I love camping, I wish we had a camper!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family had a pop up camper also. The trip I remember was going to Niagara Falls together. Fun Times.

    ReplyDelete